The Phony Tail 5 Ways3/10/2016
Looking to give your hair a boost? Say HELLO to the Pony Tail Extension! If you want to give your 'do that extra wow factor, give the Phony Tail a try. I've created five looks, aside from the regular pony tail in which the piece was designed for, to showcase how versatile this extension is. All of them took me about 5-10 minutes to complete.
What you need:
- Pony tail holders
- Bobby pins
- Minimal skill (ability to braid)
I purchased the extension on Amazon. It only costs around $20 and I've owned it for about four years. It's still in excellent condition! I never use hair spray on it and i've never heat styled it. After each use I brush out the tangles and store it in the original box. The extension is 18" long and the color is 'Buttered Toast' or R1416T. I find it blends very nicely with my hair considering it's synthetic. It looks just as fabulous in a regular Pony. You can find a tutorial for that over at The Beauty Department.
For this look, I wanted length and wore the pony tail draped over the front of my shoulder.
- Section the hair about half way down your head
- Wrap the hair in a pony
- Wrap a piece of hair around the pony
- Secure with bobby pin
- Repeat again
- Repeat a third time
- Then wrap the phony tail around bottom section
- Secure all with bobby pins
This is just a little something extra for a top knot or messy bun. It also adds volume.
- Put all hair in a high pony tail
- Braid the phony tail
- Add the phony tail braid to the top of pony tail
- Twirl all the hair in a messy bun with the braid draped across front
The more hair you hair, the thicker your braid will be. This look is a nice whimsy beefed up braid.
- Section half 1/3 of your hair in a pony tail holder
- Add your phony tail and wrap it
- French braid the phony tail in with the remaining hair
This is a fishtail braid. You could do this in a high pony or low side one as shown.
- Pull all hair into a low side pony tail
- Add Phony Tail
- To create braid:
- Split hair into two sections
- Pull small section from back of one side and bring it around the front while adding it to opposite section
- Repeat until you get to the bottom
This is a french braid that meets the pony tail. I used half of my hair for the braid, so adding the Phony Tail gives it nice, full volume that I wouldn't have otherwise.
- Take bottom half of hair and secure with pony tail
- Add Phony Tail to that section
- Inside out french braid hair on a bias until it meets Phony Tail
- Wrap braid around the Phony Tail
- Secure end with bobby pins
- Add a fun headband :)
Thanks for visiting!